Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sister - an art doll from midsummer




And she is complete! I must admit that I am very happy with how she came out.
The costume was a great challenge for my fingers - it is hand sewed from more than 50 separate pieces. then her shoes - another crazy idea - how to make it look like a shiny leather without using leather. And a little rat - a best friend following her in her journeys. I have never sculpted anything this small and detailed. The little thing is 3 cm tall, it is sculpted from air dray clay over wire armature and flocked with natural mohair. It has even tiny whiskers made from my dog's hair.

13 comments:

  1. Truly amazing... I just can't get my eyes of her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just blow my mind with your talent! I wanna' grow up and create dolls just like you! Okay, I'm already grown up, but you inspire me immensely. Beautiful, truly a work of art, as are all of your pieces.

    Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's soooo beautiful and that rat..... that little tiny rat is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this doll Dorote! She is just so beautiful, so much detail. And the little rat is amazing. And I am in awe that you sewed this all by hand. Now I know it can be done. I am not really good with my sewing machine, its nice to know I can try to do costumes by hand. Although they will never look as amazing as yours.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rat is nothing less than astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely amazing. I love her style and I REALLY love her rat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for the precious comments! It means a lot to me!

    @Elaine - I prefer sewing by hand as my dolls are pretty small, and fabrics are delicate - the sewing machine just can't do what the hands can. I am sure you can do it too - it takes some practice to get the skill, but then it is so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the way your style is evolving. Each doll you make is so different than the ones before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Simon! I think it is important to keep growing and developing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only now discovered your amazing work. This doll is fantastic in it's detail and the little rat is a work of art by himself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, your doll is truly astounding! She is so different. I love her, and her little rat, too! I got a chuckle that the bottom of her shoe looks like a horseshoe! I've just discovered you, and now I'm following.

    ReplyDelete